Piped, striped Scandi cushions

We have a new, genuinely Scandinavian flat to decorate in Stockholm, so I got cracking this week with some simple Scandi cushions to add colour to the new grey-covered sofa.

Notes
Our new cushion inserts are 40x40cm, and covers are best made slightly smaller to create a squishy, full-looking cushion, so I simply start with a square the same size as the cushion itself and the 1cm seams will naturally create that bit of "negative ease".

I initially had some striped fabric for the centre of these cushions, but I hadn't realised what a total nightmare it would be to work with, and I had to abandon the project and start again! So I went for a cute, stag-covered cotton that I knew wouldn't let me down.

To avoid the bother of inserting a zipper, I simply made an overlapping back where the cushion can be easily removed or inserted. Call me lazy...
Techniques
TECHNIQUE: Subtle quilting.

I got some metallic thread recently which I have become totally obsessed with. I used it in two colours, silver and complimenting steely teal, to randomly pick out the outline of a few of the stags, using small scraps of padding behind to gently quilt the shapes. 


I also used it to stitch on some contrast ribbon bands with a tiny hint of sparkle as a result:

Hacks
MY HACK: Striped piping!

Piping really gives cushion covers a nice finish. I learnt a while back that I shouldn't give in to the temptation to be lazy and make piping from strips cut on the grain. It may seem an easy get-around, but it is really a false economy, as the piping cannot mould around corners and edges and you will get a puckered finish. 

So if you only have a limited length of fabric left, you know you will end up making bias tape out of many very short lengths. All those joins! How about turning them into a feature?

Here I cut bias strips from a 10cm wide length, making them about 13-14cm long each. Before moving on, I attached a ribbon to the same end of each, joining each one on next to the other almost like weird bunting. Once all attached, I cut them apart again to separate the bias strips, and went about piecing them end-to-end like I normally would, with the velvet ribbon sandwiched in between.

DIY sewing own piping

The fastest way to do this is as a continuous strip, where you twist up and feed in the next join under your presser foot, right after the last, again making a strange sort of bunting:

DIY sewing own piping

Then you can just snip the intervening threads and press your bias tape, making sure to press the velvet in the right direction for it to show on the outer side.

Add your piping to you cushion in the usual way. You can even use your striped seams to hide the join once you have come full circle! You will get a little candy stripe of colour at regular intervals around your cushion. If you have a lot of energy for making bias strips, you could cut even shorter lengths and have a closer stripe for effect!

Piped striped DIY sewing scandi cushion covers

Piped striped DIY sewing scandi cushion covers


0 comments:

Post a Comment